Sunday, February 17, 2013

Life's curveballs...

Well, so much has changed in the last year of my life!  I found out that I would be able to take advantage of an early retirement...which is awesome.  On the flip side, I had to figure out, on relatively short notice, what I wanted to do with myself once I am no longer in the Marine Corps.  That is something people usually spend years deciding and preparing for and I only had a few months.

I started out by creating my resume and applying to various positions in my field (Human Resources) hoping to find a normal job but it never really felt right.  I just kept thinking that I want something that is going to make me truly happy.  The problem is figuring out exactly what that is.  I wanted to do something hands on.  I would like to be outdoors at least part of the time.  I want to be my own boss and if I do have employees, only a few.  I want to be able to see results in what I am doing in a fairly short amount of time so that I don't get burned out.  I want to be able to work in a calming environment with the ability to occasionally interact with others.  Finally, I want something that my children can be involved in and will eventually be able to take over if they choose to.  I wasn't sure that I would actually find a job that met all of those requirements so I assumed it was just wishful thinking.

A few weeks ago I attended a Transition Workshop and on the last day of the 5 day course I chose to attend an Entrepreneurial Workshop.  We had a guest speaker stop by and give us a brief overview of the business that she and her husband started after he transitioned from the Marine Corps.  I was blown away.  This is EXACTLY what I wanted to do.  I couldn't believe how perfect this would be for me and met every one of my requirements.  They have a training program that would be starting in a few weeks and I could learn everything about the business and about how to start my own.  I was (and still am) so excited that I couldn't wait to get home and tell my husband.

So....what exactly is this business?

Wait for it....wait for it.....

I am going to be a farmer.

Well, a hydroponic / aquaponic farmer to be exact. That means I am going to grow vegetables and herbs, primarily herbs though, in water and a medium other than dirt. I am also going to raise tilapia (fish) to use for the nutrients to feed the plants and to sell once they reach the proper weight of 1-2 pounds per fish.

This method of farming allows small scale farmers to turn crops much more quickly and will allow me to make a pretty decent income.  I will probably have one employee and life will be good.  I admit, I am very nervous but I know I can make it work.  I have already made arrangements to purchase my greenhouse.  It is 20X100 feet.  I also just purchased my first aquarium for my breeder tilapia.  I will be raising fish in the next few days...

So, life is grand.

I can't wait to get to Alabama and start working:)  I will post pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment